Please report all leopard seal sightings (even if you think someone else already has).
Ways to report your sightings:
1. Phone: Call our free-call hotline on 0800 LEOPARD (0800 5367273) (valid in New Zealand only)
2. Facebook: Report to our Facebook page: “Leopard Seal sightings NZ“
3. Email: Email info@LeopardSeals.org
4. Website: Use our Online Sighting Form below
Data to collect with your sighting
- Location (GPS position if possible)
- Photographs and videos: Please see our ‘Approaching‘ & ‘Photographing‘ Leopard Seals pages for details of the types of photographs we are requesting and how to submit the images.
- Scat (poo): If you find leopard seal scat (the scientific name for seal poo) we would be most grateful if you could collect it. Please check our page on how to collect scat and what we can find inside!
REPORT A SIGHTING VIA OUR WEB FORM
Leopardseals.org takes no responsibility for the actions of members of the public approaching leopard seals. It is each person’s responsibility to ensure their own safety and the well-being of the seal. As a minimum follow these guidelines on approaching leopard seals and ALWAYS adhere to the Marine Mammal Protections Act (MMPA).